Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mee-maw and Paw-paw

My grandparents were a treasure that even now I still draw upon. They filmed a video of their life's memories with Evelyn and Mark about five years before Grandpa Mac died. But on a more personal level, in the last years of his life Grandpa Mac was having a hard time communicating and often didn't talk at all. I hadn't written the expected Christmas thank you notes that year, because it had been a hard year personally, and I wrote later to explain all the details. My grandfather called me and simply said that he loved me. And two months later he died.

I talk about my grandparents a lot because they had an enormous effect on me. My grandfather's stand as a CO during WWII gives me the courage even now to take unpopular stands. My grandmother's obsessive picture-taking has left us with a great gift of remembering our past as a family. So Grandma and Grandpa, look down on me and smile, your grandson needs you as much as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment